Breakfast has always been my favourite meal, it’s the first thing I think about when I wake up and possibly sometimes the last thing I think about before I go to sleep, sorry Jamie, I clearly love breakfast more than you.
I’m sure you hear all the time that breakfast is the most important meal of the day but why!? See below for 5 reasons why and then make sure you check out my video this week to follow what I had for breakfast Monday to Friday! I like to have something different pretty much every day, I love variety but if you find a breakfast that works for you and makes you feel fabulous then stick with that. The main thing is that you enjoy your healthy nourishing morning meal! It should set you up for a positive healthy day ahead!
Also listen to your body in the morning, sometimes I prepare my breakfast the night before and then in the morning I don’t fancy it at all so I make something else. If a meal plan you’re following is telling you to have salmon and greens for breakfast and it’s 6am, pouring with rain and all you want is a nice warming bowl of porridge then have the warming bowl of porridge…
Why you don’t want to skip it!
1. STOPS CRAVINGS AND BINGING: by eating breakfast you get your metabolism going and will avoid cravings and binges throughout the rest of the day!
2. BALANCE: breakfast is another opportunity to fill your body with nutrients it needs. If you’ve had an indulgent not so healthy meal the night before, most people tend to skip breakfast the next day to offset the meal the night/late night snacking the night before but I always make sure I have breakfast without fail. Get in your fruit and veg portions! Lunch and dinner can sometimes be hard to get healthy, if your out and about or at a restaurant so make sure breakfast is a goodun, full of colour!
3. MORE ENERGY AND PRODUCTIVITY: the first half of the day is when you should naturally be more alert, productive and energised to get things done, workout, achieve goals and a good breakfast is necessary for this! You’ll feel brighter and in a better mood!
4. WEIGHT MANAGEMENT: There’s so much research that shows that people who eat breakfast every day are less likely to be overweight and more able to sustain a healthy weight long term.
5. SPREAD HEALTHY INSPIRATION: be the one to set a good example to your family, flat mates, work colleagues! Be proud and walk to work with that green smoothie in hand, share your awesome healthy pancakes on instagram and surprise your boyfriend with a nutritious omelette in bed. Show others that you’re not skipping the most important meal of the day and enjoy the positive impact you have on the ones you love!